Concord, Calif. (Oct. 21, 2016) – Pacific Urology is now offering the Rezūm® System, an innovative minimally invasive treatment option for men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Dr. Parminder Sethi and Dr. Judson Brandeis are the first physicians in the San Francisco Bay Area to be certified to preform this treatment.
Rezūm® System is an FDA-approved treatment, preformed at the doctors office, that uses the stored thermal energy in water vapor to treat the extra prostate tissue.
BPH causes symptoms such as urinary frequency, urgency, irregular flow, weak stream, straining and getting up at night to urinate. Nearly 12 million U.S. men suffer from BPH-related symptoms that may require therapy, yet more than half are hesitant to seek treatment due to possible side effects.
Rezūm is different than other surgical and minimally invasive procedures that currently are available. It is administered on an out-patient basis and can be performed under oral sedation or local anesthesia. Unlike some other treatment options, initial studies have shown that the Rezūm treatment allows men to retain sexual function.
Highlights of the therapy include:
- Performed in-office by a certified physician
- Patients can return home immediately after treatment;
- Does not require general anesthesia;
- Relieves symptoms safely and effectively;
- Is an alternative to BPH medications;
- Provides noticeable symptom improvement within two weeks;
- Preserves erectile and urinary functions;
- Allows patients to return to regular activities within a few days; and
- Is considered medically necessary by Medicare and is covered by most private insurance.