Stephen Taylor, M.D.
Congratulations to Dr. Taylor! He has retired, effective April 30, 2020.
Dr. Stephen TaylorUrologist
Pacific Urology Locations:
Dr. Stephen Taylor is a board-certified urologist. He specializes in:
- Robotic surgery: robotic radical prostatectomy, robotic partial nephrectomy, robotic pyeloplasty, etc.
- Prostate cancer: evaluation, management and treatment.
- Vasectomy reversal (microsurgical vasovasostomy).
- Evaluation and treatment of impotence and erectile dysfunction.
In addition, Dr. Taylor has extensive experience in microsurgery. He has been utilizing the operating microscope for vasectomy reversals since the 1980s, and has a success rate among the best in the United States.
Approach to Treatment
I try to empathize with every patient. I personally know what it feels like to be a patient: the waiting, the uncertainties, the indignities, the loss of control, and the anxiety.
The best thing I ever heard a patient say to me was ‘Thank you for saving my life!’ One Christmas day (which happens to be my wife’s birthday, and I was not on call), I received a phone call from the high-risk obstetrician stating that she had a pregnant lady who was on “death’s door,” due to sepsis from an infected kidney stone.
They tried to call in the doctor who was on call, but he refused to come in on Christmas day. So I went to see her, took her immediately to surgery, and removed the offending stone. She survived and went on to deliver a healthy baby girl several months later. She sent me the most wonderful thank-you note, expressing in heart felt terms her gratitude for saving both of their lives.
Meet Dr. Taylor
About Dr. Taylor
Dr. Stephen Taylor is certified by the American Board of Urology, and is a member of the Impotence Institute of America. He has practiced in Walnut Creek and Concord since 1980.
Dr. Taylor received his bachelor’s degree in psychology from UCLA, where he graduated cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. He received his medical degree from the University of California in San Francisco (UCSF), and was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha, awarded to the top 10 graduates in each class.
Following graduation he completed two years of general surgery residency, followed by four years of urology residency at the University of California Hospitals (UCSF, San Francisco General Hospital, and Fort Miley Veterans Administration Hospital). Dr. Taylor’s areas of research were in prostate cancer, renal trauma, and urodynamics. He published one of the first articles describing the preservation of erections following prostate cancer surgery.
Dr. Taylor was among the first urologists in the San Francisco Bay area to utilize ultrasound imaging of the prostate and perform ultrasound guided prostate biopsies. He has personally performed more than 5,000 ultrasound-guided prostate biopsies. In 2014, Dr. Taylor became certified to perform MRI – ultrasound fusion guided prostate cancer biopsies and is one of the first urologists in the area to receive this special training.
In 2001 Dr. Taylor began training in robotic surgery using the da Vinci Robot. He performed the first da Vinci Robotic radical prostatectomy at John Muir Concord Campus in 2002, and has performed hundreds of robotic prostatectomy procedures since then. He maintains the highest level of skills by attending “state of the art” training courses every year. A partial list of recent courses he attended:
- Third World Robotic Symposium, April 2008
- Intuitive Surgical: Special Course in Robotic Partial Nephrectomy May 2008
- American Urologic Association, Robotic Surgery May 2008
- Advances in the Treatment of Prostate Cancer, UCSF February 2009
- Fourth World Robotic Symposium, April 2009
- American Urological Association, Prostate Cancer and Robotic Surgery, April 2009
Learn more about Dr. Taylor’s interests and accomplishments.
- University of California in San Francisco (UCSF)
- Residency, University of California Hospital (UCSF, San Francisco General Hospital
- Residency, University of California Hospital (Fort Miley Veterans Administration Hospital)
- Patients’ Choice Award by the popular doctor-rating website Vitals.com